[pmwiki-users] Re: Table of Contents (Was: ) picks up Q:-markup)

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Jan 25 15:57:19 CST 2005

On Wednesday, 26 January 2005 1:44 AM, chr at home.se wrote:
>On 25 Jan 2005, John Rankin wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, 25 January 2005 12:12 AM, chr at home.se wrote:
>> >Hi John
>> >
>> >I just noticed that (:toc:) picks up Q:-markup and includes it into the
>> >TOC. Is this really the correct behaviour?
>>
>> Yes; this is a feature. It lets you create a toc to a faq page, for example.
>
>My question is how I *deactivate* this feature :-)
>(BTW, don't be afraid to tell me to RTFM if it's in there:-)

Thinking out loud, I see 3 obvious and easy options:

1 we make the question markup character a configurable variable, that
  defaults to 'Q' -- an administrator can then disable this by setting
  the value to (say) 'Z' (of course any Z: start of line markup will
  be included in the toc)

2 an administrator introduces q: markup with the same effect as Q:
  except that questions will be omitted from the toc -- or one could
  make it QQ: ('quiet question') or Q*: -- whatever is most natural

3 we omit Q: markup from toc; if an author wants to include a
  question, use Q*: markup (or some other natural markup)

We might even do the following:

if $TocIncludesQuestions is true,
    Q: is included
    Q*: is excluded

if $TocIncludesQuestions is false
    Q: is excluded
    Q*: is included

So my question back is: Do you want to deactivate this

- for all questions

- for some questions

- on all pages

- on some pages