[Pmwiki-users] aggravating feature in (:markup:)

Neil Herber nospam
Thu Jan 20 13:49:04 CST 2005

At 2005-01-20  01:29 PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:25:42PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> > I find the (:markup:) markup extremely useful, but it does have one very
> > aggravating feature - it wraps the "unformatted" lines well before the
> edge
> > of the bounding box.
> >
> > Try this in your sandbox:
> >
> > (:markup:)  [=* this should be rendered as a list item, but in the upper
> > box the line will wrap too soon=]
>
>Since there's not any way to have the browser automatically wrap
>preformatted text, PmWiki has to do its own wrapping of the
>unformatted lines.   Unfortunately, it can't know how large the bounding
>box is going to be (because that depends on the width of the browser
>window), so currently it errs on the conservative side and makes the
>lines a bit short.  I can increase the size of the wrapped lines to a
>larger number, but need feedback on others on a better adjustment
>value.
>
>Pm

There is an even bigger problem. Some skin authors have fixed the size of
the body column (where most of the page is - what is the name?) such that
resizing the window does not change the (:markup:)  bounding box size.

For example, LeanSkin and PhpNetSkin are fixed, but different widths.
Beeblebrox varies with window width.

I would say forget about this. Admins can work around it by building the
markup examples by hand - they just won't have that nice bounding box.

Plus, the (:markup:) tag is one that would probably never be used by the
majority of authors and for most examples it works.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668