[Pmwiki-users] setting a cookie with author name

Neil Herber nospam
Thu Jan 13 23:51:28 CST 2005

At 2005-01-13  10:54 PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:31:51AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> > On pmwiki.org, the system sets a cookie with my author name, saving me
> from
> > retyping it endlessly.
> >
> > How can I get the public field in my farm to do the same?
>
>It's supposed to do it by default.  I just tried it on
>http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/ and it worked for me -- I edited WikiSandbox
>(entering an author name), saved the page, closed the browser, returned
>to edit the sandbox and my author name was already filled in for me.
>
>If you want to require authors to always enter a name, set
>$EnablePostAuthorRequired = 1; .

I will now accept the idiot of the week award.

Somehow I had set Firefox to silently block all cookies from neil.eton.ca.
I guess I didn't feel I could trust the weasels who ran it. Removing the
block has indeed restored the Author cookie memory. Thanks!

Before you edited, I had already set $EnablePostAuthorRequired = 1; .
Unfortunately, the "Author name required" message is rendered in a colour
that makes it very hard to notice. I tried changing the color to red, by
changing the CSS file, but it did nothing. My CSS skills are close to zero.

However, I *could not* get passwords set via the ?action=attr form to work
as advertised:

>In PmWiki, page passwords override group passwords, group passwords
>override the default passwords, and the admin password always allows
>access. This gives a great deal of flexibility in controlling access to
>wiki pages in PmWiki.

I set an edit password on the Main group and then tried to clear the
WikiSandbox password, in effect thinking that the sandbox would inherit the
password from the group. Of course what I had to do was set the sandbox
password to "nopass", but it took at least 5 readings of the password pages
to notice that.

I will add some words to http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Passwords to try
and clarify it for future newbies.

Neil