[pmwiki-users] Re: Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 30 10:25:57 CST 2005

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:56:47AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Comment:
> I hope it will be not necessary to create a docs/ directory, and
> keep just the minimal text information in the root, as at present.
> The main documentation exists in form of wiki pages within wikilib.d,
> which the above does not make clear. So perhaps it can read:
> wikilib.d/      Default wiki pages including main documentation

I agree, we should make it clear that the main documentation is
in wiki pages.

> pub/css/ is not included in the default distribution, but needs to be
> created later if indeed needed at all. But perhaps it can be part of
> the default setup, even if it remains empty?

Yes, I'm planning to include an empty pub/css/ as part of the
distribution, or perhaps with a pub/css/README.txt that explains
how to use it.

> I always found it confusing to have to copy sample-config.php from the
> root into local/, and then rename it.

Oh, I don't have a problem with sample-config.php going into local/,
but one of the reasons we've kept it at the root is so that new
admins will notice it quickly.

> To have .txt extensions to the text files would be very welcome. For a
> Windows user files without extensions are just too confusing.

I'm going to add .txt extensions to the text files, but I want to make
sure we know where each file ends up before I do that.  Otherwise we'll
end up cluttering existing sites with even more files.