[pmwiki-users] Re: Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 04:56:47 CST 2005

From http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/READMEAndDocsDir

This is the README.txt file for PmWiki, a wiki-based system for
collaborative creation and maintenance of websites.  PmWiki is
distributed with the following directories:

  docs/           Documentation and sample configuration files
  local/          Local configuration scripts
  cookbook/       Recipes (add-ons) obtained from the Cookbook
  pub/            Publicly accessible files
  pub/skins/      Layout templates (skins)
  pub/css/        Local CSS stylesheet files
  scripts/        Some scripts that are part of PmWiki
  wikilib.d/      Some default wiki pages

Comment:
I hope it will be not necessary to create a docs/ directory, and
keep just the minimal text information in the root, as at present.
The main documentation exists in form of wiki pages within wikilib.d,
which the above does not make clear. So perhaps it can read:
wikilib.d/      Default wiki pages including main documentation

pub/css/ is not included in the default distribution, but needs to be
created later if indeed needed at all. But perhaps it can be part of
the default setup, even if it remains empty?

I always found it confusing to have to copy sample-config.php from the
root into local/, and then rename it. To me local/ would have been the
obvious place for it, but I understand that files in local/ shall not
be touched by pmwiki in subsequent updates. I wonder if a subdirectory
to local/ like local/samples/ may not serve better to hold various
sample config files, if the object is to keep the root uncluttered,
and local/ untouched?

To have .txt extensions to the text files would be very welcome. For a
Windows user files without extensions are just too confusing.

Best,
~Hans