[pmwiki-users] Re: Blog proposal

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:47:21 CST 2005

On 12/15/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:11:17PM +0200, blues wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:46:44 +0200, Patrick R. Michaud
> > <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > >* Posting a blog entry is as simple as adding (:blog:) to the markup
> > >  of any page.  When a page containing (:blog:) is saved, that page
> > >  is automatically added to the blog trail page if it's not already
> > >  listed.  (The author must have write permissions to the blog trail
> > >  page.)
> >
> > and the page name? any name will do?
>
> Any name will do.

The only thing I have to add here is that it would be nice to have the
option to have the pagename automaticly created from the title entered
in the post upon save (or perhaps some other data provided by author -
creation date etc). This would require some way of bringing up the
edit form for an unknown page name.

> > maybe should have a page name prefix like Group.BlogPageTitle
> > where Blog is the prefix (configurable)?
> > but then what happens if (:blog:) is used in a page that doesn't
> > follow the scheme?
> > i know is always nice to have the maximum freedom... but i just imagine
> > a pagelist full of links where we don't know if belonging to a blog
> > or just normal wiki pages.
>
> I'm curious -- does it matter?  Why make a distinction between "blog
> pages" and "normal wiki pages"?

Yeah, i've seen blog entries where the author treated it as a wiki
page edited only by the author - to support some peice of software or
something. I say its doesn't matter.

> > >* An author can use (:blog OtherBlogTrail:) to post the current page
> > >  to blog trails other than the default.
> >
> > the post can go in the blogtrail of another group?
> > in that case the page can be in a Group1 but be part of a
> > blogtrail in Group2? quite confusing...
>
> I'm not saying that's the normal case, but I don't see any reason
> to say that an author *couldn't* do it that way.  As an example,
> I might want to have a "Blogs" group for all of the blog trails
> ("Blogs.Pm", "Blogs.Alice", "Blogs.Bob"), while the individual
> blog entries can go into groups based on other criteria.

A few different ideas I have:
* Groups of 2005, 2006, 2007... Each group contains all the blog
entries for that year. Great for organizing archives

* or perhaps each author has their own Group for their respective
blog. The blog trails would be "Pm.Blog", "Alice.Blog" and "Bob.Blog",
where "Alice.SomeEntry" would be a post by Alice and
"Bob.AnotherEntry" would be by Bob. Then perhaps "Site.Blog" would use
a list to display the latest post's of all authors combined.

*Another option is that the author could use each group as a category
so that all entries for that category would go in its respective
group. Of course, that would limit to one category per entry unless
the page was shared across groups. Either way, some may prefer that
option.

The point is, this leaves things open for possabilites, and I'm sure
it wouldn't be to difficult for a site admin to add a few restrictions
to enforce a certain format for that site. What I like is that you can
organize your blog your way, amd I can set up my blog my way.

--
----
Waylan Limberg
waylan at gmail.com