[pmwiki-users] Locked SideBar in new installation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 11 12:24:37 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:11:25AM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> On 8/11/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > A related note:  I'm wanting to eliminate the use of <h1>'s
> > in many of PmWiki's default pages.  Many of the semantic
> > web initiatives are establishing a convention that a page
> > should have only one <h1> tag in it, typically to highlight
> > the page's title.  Thus, the section headings in the sidebar
> > and in the edit form should probably be rendered as <h2>'s
> > or lower.
>
> This is a significant improvement.
>
> FWIW, for the Lean and Light skins, I use <h6>'s because I don't want
> the sidebar menu to have priority over the headings / sections in the
> wiki page.

I recall reading somewhere that accessibility is improved by limiting
the use of headings to <h1> through <h3>.  However, this might be
important only for the main text, and we could decide that higher levels
are appropriate for the sidebar.

It doesn't matter to me what heading level we choose to use in the
sidebar, as long as it's not <h1>.  Also, I don't know if we would
ever want subheadings in the sidebar, which might argue for using <h5>
instead of jumping all the way to <h6>.