[pmwiki-users] Locked SideBar in new installation

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:11:25 CDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> A related note:  I'm wanting to eliminate the use of <h1>'s
> in many of PmWiki's default pages.  Many of the semantic
> web initiatives are establishing a convention that a page
> should have only one <h1> tag in it, typically to highlight
> the page's title.  Thus, the section headings in the sidebar
> and in the edit form should probably be rendered as <h2>'s
> or lower.

This is a significant improvement.

FWIW, for the Lean and Light skins, I use <h6>'s because I don't want
the sidebar menu to have priority over the headings / sections in the
wiki page.

I style <h6's in the sidebar the same as <h1>'s

#mainsidebar h1, #mainsidebar h6 { }

At one time I was using an online "document structure checker" but I
can't find the site at this moment.

From
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#document-headers
"""
Use header elements to convey document structure
and use them according to specification.
[...]
Since some users skim through a document by
navigating its headings, it is important to use them
appropriately to convey document structure. Users
should order heading elements properly. For example,
in HTML, H2 elements should follow H1 elements,
H3 elements should follow H2 elements, etc. Content
developers should not "skip" levels (e.g., H1 directly to
H3). Do not use headings to create font effects; use
style sheets to change font styles for example.
"""

Hagan