[pmwiki-users] BUG: Targets w/Dot Allow Editing

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Aug 1 12:24:33 CDT 2005

At 2005-08-01  11:28 AM -0400, Ryan D'Baisse is rumored to have said:
>SYNOPSIS:
>A new wiki has a group, "My Friends".  Some of the target pages have a dot
>(or period) in the name (i.e. "John P. Smith").  Targets with the dot in
>the name cause an invalid link to be rendered.  Selecting that link allows
>editing of that page without prompting for passwords.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. (TM)

PmWiki uses dots to separate groupnames and pagenames, as in Main.HomePage.
If you enter a wikiword with a dot in it or try to link an item containing
a dot, PmWiki uses the text before the dot as a group name and after the
dot as a page name. Hence, JohnP.Smith.

Because the group is very likely a new one (JohnP), there is no edit
protection on it unless you have set a global edit password in config.sys.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668