[Pmwiki-users] How to check out PmWiki 2 via CVS

chr@home.se chr
Mon Oct 25 14:53:50 CDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > Because of the reasons above, it would be better if local/ was *not* part
> > of the pmwiki cvs module. Thoughts?
>
> This would mean that someone checking out PmWiki would not get a local/
> directory, and would have to create it manually.

What if pmwiki.php creates local/ and local/.htaccess at the same time it
tries to create wiki.d/?  And if local/ already exists, it skips creating
local/.htaccess.

> I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but whatever we do would probably
> have to apply to cookbook/ and pub/css/ as well

What is the purpose of cookbook/?

And maybe you could explain the (intended) structure of pub/ as well?
(haven't thing changed here lately, or was that on a lower level) (IIRC,
the adminstrator is supposed to modify files in pub/ as well as local.)

!! Idea for workaround

We might be able to get something working by using several 'modules' for
the pmwiki base. The repository could look like this:

	pmwiki
	|-- scripts
	|-- tests
	`-- wikilib

	pmwiki-config
	|-- cookbook
	|-- pub
	`-- local

where local/ and cookbook/ no longer are below pmwiki/ in the repository.
We now need extra cvs commands to checkout everything, for example:

  cd ~/public_html/test
  export REP=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pmwiki
  cvs -d$REP login
  cvs -d$REP checkout pmwiki
  cd pmwiki
  cvs -d$REP checkout -d local pmwiki-config/local
  cvs -d$REP checkout -d cookbook pmwiki-config/cookbook
  cvs -d$REP checkout -d pub pmwiki-config/pub

If we use CVSROOT/modules to define modules, these commands can be
simplified, but before that step we would need to be sure it works well
just using manual commands.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr