[Pmwiki-users] include # most recently added/edited pages in page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Oct 25 11:40:47 CDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 03:31:33PM +0200, Peter Brink wrote:
> > displays the ten most recently edited pages.  If the lines are too
> > long, you can have PmWiki maintain a bullet list of pagenames:
> >    $RecentChanges['Main.RecentList'] = '* $Group.$Tlink . ';
> > and then do [[include:Main.RecentList#10]] to display this smaller
> > list.
>
> I'm using pmwiki-1.0.10.
>
> Why is it that new entries on Main.AllRecentChanges are inserted at
> the top of the page while new entries to Main.RecentList (as per your
> suggestion above) is inserted at the bottom?
> [...]
> I've used "$RecentChanges['Main.RecentList'] = '* $Group.$Tlink';" in
> my config.php (I've removed the dot at the end of the string).

Believe it or not, it's because you removed the dot at the end of the string.
When creating the RecentChanges pages, PmWiki needs to have some way to
know how to find the first entry in the RecentChanges, so it can insert
the updated entry at the top, and it has to be able to remove any previous
RecentChanges entries for that page.  It uses the ' . ' (actually
space-dot-space) to identify which lines are RecentChanges entries and
the point where the page name ends and the other information that
shouldn't be used in a comparison (authored by, time of modification)
begins.

I admit it's a bit of a kludge to do it this way, but it's a kludge that
has worked for quite a while.  :)

I'm working on other mechanisms to achieve similar results; for example,
being able to things along the lines of
   (:pagelist trail=RecentChanges count=10 fmt=simple :)
etc.