[Pmwiki-users] Re: Acrobatics while typing [:...:] and math markup

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Oct 1 09:51:17 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 05:20:40PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > Of course this means that people have to know the (:...:) markup is
> > available.
>
> Hmm.. I'm not convinced that's a great idea on second thought -- for
> instance, a normal user might wonder where his cute smileys went...

Oh, I don't think that would be a problem -- we would only
convert (:...:) that occur in pairs on the same line.  So, :) would be
left alone while (:directive:) would get converted.  (I don't know many
people who put alternate-direction smileys in text, and certainly not
on the same line.)

The bigger problem is definitely informing authors that (: ... :) can
be used as a substitute on sites that have it available.