[Pmwiki-users] Re: pmwiki-url confusion

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon May 10 06:41:25 CDT 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 12:57:56AM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> Just a thought about this... when PmWiki is installed, couldn't it do a
> self-test to determine if it has to use '?pagename=' or not?
> Basically PmWiki would just have to make a
> 	wget http://newly.installed.site/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/SomePage
> and check the result. If it works, then it works and '?pagename=' isn't
> necessary.
>
> Actually, maybe PmWiki could use a set of self-tests working along this
> line that could be used to test the installation?

That's the line I'm pursuing in the PmWiki installation script.  However,
I want to avoid calls to external programs (won't work in PHP safemode)
and not every system has wget (e.g., Windows).  I'll probably just use
PHP's open() command to make the external HTTP connection.  However, the
setup script has to be a bit smarter than a simple wget, since there are
any number of reasons why the HTTP GET might fail (e.g., ScriptUrl isn't
working properly).