[Pmwiki-users] Re: new link markup format? [[link] text]

Christian Ridderström chr
Sat May 8 17:20:23 CDT 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Wayne Lee wrote:

> On May 8, 2004, at 11:29 AM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 10:16:11AM -0700, Wayne Lee wrote:
> >> It might be too late in the game here,
> >> but I'd like to suggest an alternative
> >> markup for links.  I stumbled upon this
> >> idea while researching wiki markups:
> >>
> >> [[LinkName] alternative text]
> >
> > I like it a *lot*, but it really conflicts with PmWiki's existing
> > markup and pages.  Consider [[spacewikiwords]], [[nogroupheader]],
> > [[nogroupfooter]], as well as [[WikiWord link]].

It is a bit late, and changing the syntax this drastically might cause a
fork in PmWiki...  something that'd mediated this would be to add the
possibility of placing a directive at the very first line on a page that
specifies the format of the page. In MoinMoin they have e.g.
	#FORMAT Wiki		-> wiki markup
	#FORMAT Plain		-> plain text

see http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnProcessingInstructions

Anyway, I think it's a pretty good idea to allow the user to specify the
format of the page. Then it'd be straight forward to have pages with
different syntax.

Speaking of syntax, I was looking at the syntax a while back and started
documenting it here, in case you want to put the suggestion there.

	http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWikiMarkup/PmWikiMarkup

We should probably think *seriously* about the entire syntax before
proposing something new that changes what people are used to already
(and breaking backwards compatibility).

/Christian