[Pmwiki-users] Re: [[include: ... ]] part of a page

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue May 4 03:27:02 CDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Steven Leite wrote:

> > > If there's consensus and support for Christian's version of the
> markup,
> > > I'll add it and release in the next few days.
>
> At first I had no opinion.  I personally dont' think I would use the
> markup, so I thought I will abstain from voting.  Then I got to thinking
> .. it's just one more feature.  I don't know if it's fair to classify it
> as "feature bloat" or not .. so I'll just voice my "note of caution"
> about that, and say this:
>
> If the feature is not used by the majority of users, then it should not
> be in the core ..  I think it's better left as an add-on.

As for being useful, I include parts of a page quite often using the
directive [[para:]], which would now superceeded by [[include:]]. This is
also where I think the functionality belongs, so in my opinion, this isn't
bloat but a straight forward extension of [[include:]].

The implementation is probably another aspect, since [[include:]] is
already a part of PmWiki's core, it might be impractical to place the
extension code in a separate module.

We could of course discuss wether this new functionality should be enabled
by default. Given the above Steve, can you think of a reason why this
syntax should be disabled by default?

/Christian