everyday and everyDay -was- Re: [Pmwiki-users] intuitive learning

Lloyd Budd lloyd
Tue Mar 2 18:57:59 CST 2004

On 2-Mar-04, at 12:41, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:14:54PM -0500, Lloyd Budd wrote:
>> On 26-Feb-04, at 11:48, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 08:37:14AM -0500, Lloyd Budd wrote:

>> Then the question becomes does the
>> current design support such a rendering -- my limited experience with
>> parser development suggests that this will be unlikely, and so the
>> cost
>> may be too great to "fix" this.
>
>> From a programming perspective it can actually be changed without too
>> much
> difficulty--PmWiki is quite flexible in that respect.  From a "how does
> this impact existing PmWiki installations" perspective, it may indeed
> be
> too high a cost.
>
>>> It might also be worthwhile to introduce the convention that the
>>> [[reference alttext]] syntax allows page titles instead of WikiWords
>>> for the reference part, eliminating the need for the free link markup
>>> for single-word page names.  Thus one could write [[Philosophy
>>> values]]
>>> instead [[{{philosophy}} values]].  Any votes in favor/against?
>> If this is generalized, I have a STRONG ;-) vote for this.
>
> Just to make sure I'm clear, note that markup such as [[Philosophy
> values]],
> if enabled, would still display as "values".
>
> Another thought I just had--it ought to be possible for me to change
> the
> free link pattern a bit so that markup such as
>
>     {{philosophy }}values
>
> would work.  This would still link to a page named "Philosophy", but
> would render with "philosophy values" as the link text ( as opposed to
> "{{philosophy}} values", which would only use "philosophy" as the link
> text.)  But I'll admit this is really getting "out there".
>
>> This relates to my previous message on this thread where I  (subtlety)
>> suggest that it would be amazing if PMWiki ignored case in resolving
>> page titles (and groups when with page title).
>
> I might be able to make this work as a local customization in a future
> major release.  However, one often gets this behavior in some Windows
> installations
Oh!  Ah! What your wrote here and below made me realize that we are not
on the same page.  I am coming from one such OS, MacOS X.  I just tried
my test scenario on your site, and the linking is quite different.  I
like it much better on MacOS X.  There are most of the "links"  I would
like all of the following links to take me to the same page:

{{Philosophy}}

WikiSandbox.Philosophy

WikiSandbox/Philosophy

[[WikiSandbox.Philosophy values]]

[[WikiSandbox/Philosophy values]]

Or is it {{PhiloSophy}}

WikiSandbox.PhiloSophy

WikiSandbox/PhiloSophy

[[WikiSandbox.PhiloSophy values]]

[[WikiSandbox/PhiloSophy values]]

Who can remember whether you play in a sandbox or a sand box ;-)

The potential for two pages with the same letters, but different case
seems very wrong to me.

>  because filenames are case-insensitive there, and several
> admins have asked me how to fix it so that page titles are again case
> sensitive (which just goes to show that there are differing opinions).

> Spacing of WikiWords in titles also becomes a bit tricky when the
> capitals are missing, and some things just aren't the same in a
> different case (e.g., "TheyWentToGetHer" vs. "TheyWentTogether",
> "Therapist" vs. "TheRapist", etc.).
Agreed. I am not suggesting removing the capitals, but that regardless
of case the 'titles' should be interpretted, and when you arrive at the
linked page, its title should be as the creator intended.

Thank you,
Lloyd