[Pmwiki-users] Re: PmWiki development

Bob Dively dive
Fri Jun 11 14:18:44 CDT 2004

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> All that said, I think that the last set of 3-4 comments on this topic
> may have pointed out a small fallacy in my thinking up to this point.
> Many people have asked for user-based authentication, and until now
> I've not done it because I haven't been able to figure out what to
> do with a user-based authentication short of very simplistic
> authorization.  But perhaps the correct approach is to provide
> *some* user-based authentication mechanism (as a Cookbook extension)
> so that people can at least do user-based authentication with a
> simplistic authorization scheme, and developers can prototype and
> experiment with other authorization schemes.

This would be great. I've found it difficult to get corporate types to
accept PmWiki because of the lack of user authentication. They have a hard
time getting their brains around the world writable aspects of wikis and
also have a great urge to know exactly who did what so that the guilty may
be punished and the innocent completely ignored. I'd love to see some sort
of user authentication scheme that allowed me to hack up a Cookbook
extension to query a corporate LDAP server.

cheers,
-b