[Pmwiki-users] Re: PmWiki development

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Jun 11 11:38:17 CDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 07:10:56PM -0700, Steven Leite wrote:

> I'm not 100%
> clear on the syntax because I've never used it yet.  I've never used it
> yet because I don't think it's very easy to use.

I think it's easy for this sort of syntax to confuse people, especially
when one considers group and site permissions.  Which permissions take
precedence when there's a conflict?

All that said, I think that the last set of 3-4 comments on this topic
may have pointed out a small fallacy in my thinking up to this point.
Many people have asked for user-based authentication, and until now
I've not done it because I haven't been able to figure out what to
do with a user-based authentication short of very simplistic
authorization.  But perhaps the correct approach is to provide
*some* user-based authentication mechanism (as a Cookbook extension)
so that people can at least do user-based authentication with a
simplistic authorization scheme, and developers can prototype and
experiment with other authorization schemes.

But later, after I've gotten farther along with 2.0 itself.  :-)