[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Request for method to let plugins execute code after stdconfig.php

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Fri Jul 16 13:31:22 CDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 08:39:30PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr??m wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
>
> > Even if the chances that stdconfig.php will change the part of the
> > string that you key off of are small, it's still better to just set the
> > string how you want it rather than relying on modifying some predefined
> > value IMHO.
>
> There might be another plugin which also wants modify the string (or
> perhaps it defines its own). If I do a search-replace, the plugin is not
> guaranteed to be compatible with future versions of pmwiki (or other
> plugins), but at least the chance is bigger.

Seems like there would be a use for a tool that analyzes a plugin and
gives a report of which variables/functions it uses/modifies.  Then
you could have another tool that does this for pmwiki and all of the
plugins and identifies potential points of conflict.

> > How hard is it to cut-n-paste from one file to another and make the
> > changes?
>
> Not that hard, but annoying. Don't forget that when/if pmwiki changes, I
> will also have to remember to compare this large string with whatever
> there is in pmwiki... if you then do this for every release of pmwiki, and
> every plugin you "maintain" it gets to be a bit of work.

It's not so much work if you have a suite of regression tests setup so
that you can see if anything has changed. Then you only have to do the
manual inspection and modification if/when a regression test fails.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com