[Pmwiki-users] Demo: Autosave on Preview

chr@home.se chr
Thu Jul 15 04:25:59 CDT 2004

On 15 Jul 2004, John Rankin wrote:

> >From http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/wiki/DraftWP/Purpose
>
> Try the wording now.

Looks good to me now. It'd be good if someone else could test it from a
usability point of view. I'm "tainted" now :-)

> >* The title of the previewed page was:
> >	Preview DraftWP.WikiSandbox
> >  Maybe that should be:
> >	Draft preview of DraftWP.WikiSandbox
> >  or
> >	DraftWP.WikiSandbox Draft
>
> Still working on this -- my draft plug-in is loading before the local
> $PagePreviewFmt is defined.

You could probably use a 'hook' class that I wrote.
See http://wiki.lyx.org/pub/config/hook.php.txt for the class, and search
my config.php for 'hook' in order to see how it is used:
	http://wiki.lyx.org/pub/config/config.php.txt

The customization would still require config.php to contain something like
this at the end of it.

	//Invoke standard configuration, so that we can override it's
	//defaults afterwards.
	//
	include_once("scripts/stdconfig.php");
	$customHook->run();// Now run customization hooks

> >* Using the '--' in "Wiki Sandbox Draft --" to delete the draft didn't
> >  feel so good. Not very obvious or intuitive IMHO.
>
> Try clicking the − now -- it will take you to a page with a red
> 'delete draft' link. I want to make that a button, but I'm having
> difficulty working out how to stop the form dropping to the next line.

Here's how the top of a draft page looks right now:

	DraftWP
	Wiki Sandbox + draft
	-

where the '-' was pushed onto a new line since it didn't fit.

Minor detail: The title element of the '+' on a draft should be changed
from "View Page" to "View original page".

Anyway, I'm not too thrilled by the look... how about this:

	DraftWP
	Wiki Sandbox
	Draft: [Delete] [Go to original page]

where the third line would be in a much smaller font, and the [..] are the
links you click on to go to the original page or delete the draft. I was
thinking that since this is a draft, it doesn't really matter if we always
use an extra line.

> So * refers to a draft of an existing page and ¿ refers to
> a draft of a new page. Is that right? Done.

It looks ok to me, but I expect there will be lots of questions like:

	Why is there sometimes an upside-down question mark for pages
	that don't exist?

Anyway, let's leave it until we get more opinins from other users.

> > btw, the title attributes are great:).

We need a better title attribute for the ¿ link. But I couldn't
come up with a good text... the use of "original" bites me here. How can I
talk of a draft copy first... Anyway, here are some suggestions:

   Type		Current text		New text?
   *		View draft		View draft of this page
   ¿	View draft		View draft (only the draft exists)
   ?		Create page		Create this page

> I wonder if people may find a dropdown box a bit irritating.

Maybe... difficult to say IMO.

> I think one would use a dropdown if multiple drafts were available.

Yeah.. but without knowing where it'd fit nicely in the layout, and with
only two branches sometimes, I guess it doesn't make sense.

> >Hmm... it would be nice with a way to get to the normal page, but it's
> >really counter-intuitive to click 'draft' to do this...
>
> Yes, + draft - works for me... If you *really* want + (draft) -
> we'd have to make the text smaller, which may not be a good thing.
> + takes you to the original page, - takes you to a delete draft page.
> There might be better character choices...

I hope so... '+' and '-' aren't exactly obvious... anyway, if you like my
idea of putting text on a separate line, this problem goes away.

> >I'm not sure changing "Edit" to "Editing" is enough, but we
> >could try.
>
> We could reuse the + character here, perhaps.

Maybe... what about changing it into:

	"Editing draft of <Group.Page>"

that should be pretty obivous. OTOH, then the text when you are not
editing a draft should simply be:

	"Editing <Group.Page>"

What is the purpose of the title stuff above this text anyway? I mean, how
come we don't simply put this at the top:

	"Editing <Group.Page>"
	[edit box]

when you're editing the original (i.e. you haven't previed&saved yet).
When you're editing a draft, the top shows:

	"Editing [draft] of <Group.Page>"
	[edit box]

Am I missing something there?

> >What about changing the meaning of the button 'Reset' so that it is used
> >to revert the draft to the original page. The button could be named:
> >	"Revert to original"
>
> I'll have to find out what the Reset button does (I never use it).

I think it discards any changes you've done to the text in the edit
form... I never used either.

> How about:
>
>       Delete Draft & Revert to Original
>
> I think we can have delete in both places.

Excellent.

> There isn't an obvious character that's a trash can or a cross in
> a box, but we could use &times;

Do we need that if the reset button can be used to delete the draft?

Anyway, it looks like it's time to get more opinions.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr