[Pmwiki-users] Demo: Autosave on Preview

John Rankin john.rankin
Wed Jul 14 23:33:54 CDT 2004

Excellent comments. Mostly implemented (still working on some things),
try it again.

On Wednesday, 14 July 2004 10:10 PM, chr at home.se wrote:
>Hi John
>
>First a bit of "proofreading" of the instructions, hoping it'll make them
>clearer (or demonstrate that I didn't understand them):
>
>From http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/wiki/DraftWP/Purpose

Try the wording now.

>[Added later on]:  Checked the word 'draft' using 'WordNet', and it seems
>the long form is usually 'draft copy', so I guess "original"
>makes sense.

It now refers to either 'original wiki page' or 'original page'

>Experience from playing with the draft demo:
>
>* I never felt I really got to see what the draft looked like...
>  Maybe that's simply because the edit form is at the top of the page
>  rather than at the bottom? (I usually use Emacs, so I'm used to
>  "previewing" only the page without any source).
>
>** I'd like some way to get to the 'view draft page' from the page where
>   I'm editing the draft page. (There's no obvious way to leave the edit
>   page otherwise, since there's no button that only does "Save
>as draft")
>
>** [Added a while later] Hmm... hang on, I think I found how to do this:
>   There's probably a bug here which prevent's the '*' from appearing
>   at once.

Yes, that was a bug (feature limitation), now fixed. The '*' should show
after the first Preview & Save Draft click. Click '*' to see the draft.

>* The title of the previewed page was:
>	Preview DraftWP.WikiSandbox
>  Maybe that should be:
>	Draft preview of DraftWP.WikiSandbox
>  or
>	DraftWP.WikiSandbox Draft

Still working on this -- my draft plug-in is loading before the local
$PagePreviewFmt is defined.

>* Using the '--' in "Wiki Sandbox Draft --" to delete the draft didn't
>  feel so good. Not very obvious or intuitive IMHO.

Try clicking the − now -- it will take you to a page with a red
'delete draft' link. I want to make that a button, but I'm having
difficulty working out how to stop the form dropping to the next line.

>* Using a different symbol ('*') rather than a '?' when a draft exists is
>  really neat. I'm not sure '*' is very intuitive, but what alternative is
>  there... would '!' be better?  Or an upside down '?' ('?') as they use
>  in Spanish.

So * refers to a draft of an existing page and ¿ refers to
a draft of a new page. Is that right? Done.

>* Going from the "official" page to the draft page is easy (I click on
>  the '*' after the title -- btw, the title attributes are
>great:).
>
>* How can I go from the draft page to the public page?
>  Is there a method? (I couldn't find it).

There is now. Click the red + on this page:
http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/wiki/DraftWP/PageB?action=draft

>As for changing between different branches of a page, it'd be really cool
>if we had a dropdown box that could be used to select the branch. For a
>page that doesn't have a draft, this box would only contain 'public', but
>when the page has a draft, the box would contain 'public' and
>'draft'.

The way it's now implemented, it always gives a way to the 'other' branch
from the current one and if both branches are possible, it  gives both.
I wonder if people may find a dropdown box a bit irritating.

I think one would use a dropdown if multiple drafts were available.

>Other than that it all seems to work just like it should from what I can
>see. Great work!
>
>Um, would it be to obvious to simply make it:
>	Group                           Recent Changes
>	Page Name*                                 ...
>	                               Edit Draft Page

Done.

>Hmm.. I think I'd still prefer the text to be "(draft)" or "[draft]".
>Btw, I just realized that this text is kind of long the way it's place
>right now... see this page for what I mean:
>
>http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/wiki/DraftWP/PageWithLongTitle?action=draft
>
>> - but perhaps clicking 'draft' should return to the regular
>page
>
>Hmm... it would be nice with a way to get to the normal page, but it's
>really counter-intuitive to click 'draft' to do this...

Yes, + draft - works for me... If you *really* want + (draft) -
we'd have to make the text smaller, which may not be a good thing.
+ takes you to the original page, - takes you to a delete draft page.
There might be better character choices...

>> - when editing a page, roll your mouse over the page name that follows
>>   'Editing ...' and see the tool tip
>
>Ah.. that works, but my text says: "Edit DraftWP.WikiSandbox", so it's
>counter-intutive to click there in order to go to the wiki
>page...
>
>I'm not sure changing "Edit" to "Editing" is enough, but we
>could try.

We could reuse the + character here, perhaps.

>What about changing the meaning of the button 'Reset' so that it is used
>to revert the draft to the original page. The button could be named:
>	"Revert to original"

I'll have to find out what the Reset button does (I never use it).
How about:

      Delete Draft & Revert to Original

I think we can have delete in both places.
There isn't an obvious character that's a trash can or a cross in
a box, but we could use ×

--
JR