[Pmwiki-users] Autosave on Preview

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Jul 8 21:24:57 CDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:23:34AM +1200, John Rankin wrote:

> I think Steven's idea would also go a long way to meeting the requirement
> for approving a page (or page change) before it's released. But I might
> call the directory preview/ rather than temp/.

Rather than keeping a separate directory of pages/text, I was thinking
of a possibility of simply having a "draft" copy of the text that is
stored in the page, along with the current text of the page.  Hitting
preview would then save the current text as the "draft" copy, and
an author could choose either the current draft or the current text
as the source for editing.

But this still begs the issue of how to deal with edits from simultaneous
authors between the various drafts of a page.

One could always look at the page text stored in the page as being a
draft, with some sort of option to flag a particular version in the page
history as being the "currently published version", which PmWiki uses
when browsing the page.  I.e., ?action=browse (default) would display the
version of the page that is flagged as the published one, while ?action=draft
would be used to see the latest edited version of the page, and ?action=edit
would always go from the the latest version as it does now.