[Pmwiki-users] div-based CSS layout for pmwiki-0.6

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Jan 16 14:52:59 CST 2004

All-

I'm currently experimenting with an entirely <div>-based layout
at http://www.pmichaud.com/work/beta/pmwiki.php/DivLayout .  This
version doesn't use any tables, although it does have some
empty <div></div> sequences, which I can optimize out later if
necessary.

Again, I need browser testing done to know which browsers
function properly with the div-based scheme and which ones do not.

My current thinking on the overall layout scheme for 0.6 is to make
both table-based and div-based layout schemes available to
WikiAdministrators and let them decide which one they wish to use.
Both layouts will share a common structure (wikihead-l, wikihead-r,
etc.) and a common pmwiki.css file, so that an admin could readily
switch between tables and divs without having to redo everything
or learn a new layout scheme to make it all work.

Also, a general comment about designing for multiple browsers:  Many
people have commented that "XXX won't work in some browsers" as being
a reason to avoid tables, or divs, or CSS, or whatever.  I'm not a fan
of trying to design to avoid problems in mythical browsers; if something
is not going to work I want to know exactly which browsers break,
and exactly how they break, so that we can design around the problems
directly.  So, while it's okay with me to talk about how things "ought
to be", at some point we have to deal with "how things are".

Lastly, so far in the 0.6 beta I haven't made any substantial changes to
the core PmWiki code itself; i.e., it's still possible for an
administrator to completely customize the layout using the same
features that existed in 0.5.  So, if a WikiAdmin wants to completely
re-do the page layouts, that's still possible via local customizations
and cookbook scripts.