[Pmwiki-users] CSS layout in pmwiki-0.6

John Coxon john
Fri Jan 16 13:40:19 CST 2004

On Jan 16, 2004, at 11:21 AM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> All I need to know is how to get <div> cells to align horizontally so
> that
> they don't overlap.  From what I've seen at http://w3.org the way to do
> this is to have multiple floating <div>s; i.e., one <div> floating to
> the
> far left and another <div> floating left next to it, but that seems a
> bit
> bizarre to me.  Somehow I don't like everything "floating".

In my amateurish way I struggled with this issue on my homepage blog at
CoxonTool.com. I ended up using 3 columns with their widths defined by
CSS as:

#column1
{
	position: absolute;
	left: 10px;
	top: 10px;
	width: 200px;
}

#column2
{
	height: 100%;
	margin: 10px 220px 0px 220px;
	padding: 8px;
}

#column3
{
	position: absolute;
	right:10px;
	top: 10px;
	width: 200px;
}

This renders, on the few browsers I've tested it on, with columns 1 and
3 as fixed in width  with column 2 filling in the balance of the window
width. I have no idea whether this is good technique.

John