[Pmwiki-users] Another idea before bedtime...

Christian Ridderström chr
Wed Jan 14 07:35:35 CST 2004

I'm cleaning it out old mails, so this might be repetition :-)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> My biggest concern about using '\\' as a break markup is that I think it could
> occur naturally in too many contexts (e.g., regexps, latex) where it's not
> intended to be a break.  Also, sometimes people will want to generate a
> line break but can't do it at the end of a line (e.g., in a table cell).

I should emphasize that (these days ;-) I think that '\\' should be used
as break-line markup only when it's at the end of a line.

We would then have these markup examples with corresponding results:

	Markup:				Result:
	* Start of long line \		* Start of long line continuing...
	continuing...

	* Start of long line \\		* Start of long line
	continuing...			  continuing...

	* Start of line. \\\		* Start of long line
	New paragraph...
					  New paragraph...

Where '\\\' was used for breaking and creating a new paragraph, i.e.
inserting <P>.

Since '\\' has to be at the end of a line, '\\ ' will output '\\'.
(Assuming this holds for '\', we should be consistent).

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr