[Pmwiki-users] localization searching keywords

Knut Alboldt pmwiki
Fri Dec 17 15:33:16 CST 2004

At 10:20 17.12.2004, you wrote:
>Thursday, December 16, 2004, 11:26:22 PM, stephan wrote:
> > After localizing a big chunk to the German documentation, I am now
> > re-anglicising it - don't  be afraid, only the pagetitles. :-)
>
>I am sorry to see that you are reverting German page titles in the
>documentation back to its English originals :-(
>I can see that this may be convenient for the pmwiki expert admin and
>developer, but it is not for a normal German user or admin who perhaps
>has little understanding of English. And the pmwiki experts can read
>the English documentation anyway.

well as a few people discussed that topics on v1 I may repeat some issues
about that:

our idea / conclusion was:
1 - using german page names (correspondent to the frensh pages)
2 - including the english pagename as a note (like: "german translation of
the original PmWiki.EnglishPagename form $date) on every german page
3- linking could be done using german and / or english

the reasons why:
with 1) you avoid the problem of getting english pagenames back from a search
with 2) you get the efford to have the possibility to search for the
english and the german keywords and get the reference tro the original page
for later reviews of changes
with 3) you have every possibility to document refering to the original
wikiword / page e.g.

Einsteigerthemen: Erzeugen und Bearbeiten von Seiten in
<http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiDe/PmWikiDe>PmWiki
    *
<http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiDe/BasicEditing>Grundlagen  (BasicEditing)
    * <http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiDe/CreatingNewPages>Erstellen neuer
Seiten (CreatingNewPages)

etc

As an pmwiki admin I always read the english docs if I've problems. So I
think it's a good idea to get a gfully translated doc to the authors. And I
think we only have to think a bit to avoid word like
"Navigationsbalken-what-so-ever" :-)

just my 5c

Knut