[Pmwiki-users] the descriptions of emphasis

John Rankin john.rankin
Thu Dec 2 16:58:23 CST 2004

On Friday, 3 December 2004 12:12 PM, Neil Herber <nospam at mail.eton.ca> wrote:
>Firefox has a problem with the drop cap (it collides with the following
>line).

In practice this may not be a problem:
- one tends to use drop caps sparingly, if at all; but they are cool
  if one is writing a book or even just a long page

- when one does use them, it's usually at the start of a multi-line
  paragraph

- we might have to fiddle with the style definition to get it mostly
  right in most browsers (for example in Safari, a Q, which is the
  only capital with a descender, just clears the third text line)

>The run-in head splits onto 2 lines in both browsers.

Afraid so. This is called 'degrading gracefully in older or
non-compliant browsers'. It's for an administrator to decide
whether to wait for non-complying browsers to catch up or lead
the way in the hope that others will follow.

FWIW I have an 'IE has no bugs' hypothesis. Because IE is so
widely used, I have noticed that many people blame the site,
not the browser, if it doesn't look right. So if we give IE
correct data that it can't handle, we break the data instead
of asking the supplier to fix the software.

I leave it to you to decide whether this is ignorant, stupid
or insane behaviour. Or just a silly hypothesis.

Cheers
--
JR