[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki 2.0.devel2 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Aug 27 09:02:51 CDT 2004

Greetings, all--

I'm now starting to release developers versions of PmWiki 2.0, so that
others can experiment with them and help me bring them to full
release status.  Note that these are developers releases -- i.e., they're
still a work in progress and some features have not been implemented
or may not be fully functional yet.  Development releases are being made
available at http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki-devel, and via anonymous
CVS on sourceforge.net (http://www.sf.net/projects/pmwiki).  Until we start
reaching official (or "beta") releases, development releases will only
be announced on pmwiki-users, with occasional release announcements
(such as this one) also sent to pmwiki-announce as appropriate.

Note that the 2.0.devel releases are NOT (yet) appropriate for upgrading
existing PmWiki 1.0 installations.  If you want to start a new installation
using the 2.0 software and moving pages across, that's great, but I
wouldn't try to install the 2.0 software over an existing 1.0 installation
because it just won't work.  A future developers release will come with
utilities to help convert existing installations to the 2.0 system.

PmWiki 2.0 is turning out to be a substantial redesign of the entire PmWiki
system.  It has a number of important features and improvements, including:
  * Handles simultaneous editing among multiple authors
  * Improved markup syntax
  * Support for image alt-tags
  * Support for block-level wikistyles and CSS styles
  * Greatly improved markup customizations, including custom block-level markups
  * Conditional markup text
  * Correct generation of <p> paragraphs
and a whole lot more.  You can see the development version in action
at http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php .  Of course, many features
remain the same, such as templated skins/layouts, modular design, as well
as the PmWikiPhilosophy.

At the moment I'm looking for people who can help test the system,
report bugs or things that ought to be looked at, and write documentation.
All of the PmWiki 2 development will be taking place at
http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php.  In particular, there is
a new PmWiki Issue Tracking System for tracking bugs, feature requests,
and other issues at http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php/PITS.
The tracking system can be used to file bug reports for both PmWiki 2.0
development and PmWiki 1.x releases.

I'm also looking for a new "default skin" to use for PmWiki 2.0 -- if
anyone is interested in developing a new skin, you can contribute it to
http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php/Development/Skin .

For those who have made substantial investments in PmWiki 1.0 and prior
releases--fear not, your systems aren't being abandoned.  We will be
continuing to provide bugfixes and maintenance releases of PmWiki 1.0,
as well as building a variety of upgrade paths to 2.0 for earlier
releases of PmWiki.

As always, questions can be directed to the pmwiki-users mailing list,
sent to me via email, submitted on irc (#pmwiki on irc.freenode.net),
or placed in the issue tracking system.

Thanks as always to all for your continued support of PmWiki.