[Pmwiki-users] Wiki Trails Modification....

Pedro Miller Rabinovitch miller
Thu Sep 25 20:19:30 CDT 2003

At 06:43 PM 9/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Yeah.. that is more of what i am thinking.. something
>that resembles a trail.. maybe like the last 3 stops
>you went.. ie
>
>HomePage << ProductPage << CurrentPage
>
>Something discrete and put either at the top or the
>bottom for helpful navigation purposes.. the advantage

Yeah, ok. Check www.tikiwiki.org for an example (hidden in the middle of
several different menuboxes at the right). My problem with TikiWiki is that
it's kind of *too* full of stuff, I like the apparent simplicity of
PmWiki's style.

>So a
>"Navigation Trail" that is predestined is kinda uselss
>IMHO.. so i like the idea of a visit history, but in
>the trail style markup...

I disagree with your HO IMHO. The WikiTrails, as they're implemented right
now, are great for subsections and chapters. I just think they could have a
different name. >; )

>HMM.. where do we start?

Well... The thing one should keep in mind is that said Trail is already
available if you click on the History menu of your favourite browser (at
least most of them) -- PmWiki's Page Titles are intuitive enough that the
result is the same. That's why I think that what would be *really* useful
were trees of the voyage through the Wiki. Now *there*'s something browsers
don't give ya, and I feel the lack for it all the time.

Otherwise, I guess it's just not possible without cookies and user
preferences. One should be able to turn the thing off and on, and set depth
preferences, etc. At first glance, at least.

Cheers,

         Pedro.

"But tell me, o Cheshire Cat, which path should I choose?"
"That depends on where you want to go to."
"I don't really know where I want to go."
"Then you should have WikiTrees to help you find out. Otherwise you're just
in the middle of Nowhere, and quite frankly, I don't really give a cat's
tail."