[pmwiki] Re: [Pmwiki-users] Whitepaper about markup strategy

Bernhard Weichel in pmwiki-users pmwiki-users at b-weichel.2in.de
Fri May 16 16:59:44 CDT 2003

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 11:42:09PM +0200,
> Bernhard.Weichel at t-online.de wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't understand--how do having the separate functions
> prevent two people from choosing the same markup sequence for
> different purposes?  I.e., one person could define .b_foo to mean one
> thing
> and PmWiki could later define .b_foo to mean something else...?

It does not help to avoid the conflict but to resolve it. The necessary
changes are only at one place.

If the basic syntax is <pm: >
*all* markup will then look like <pm:foo>
and I can easily switch from <pm: to <paulm: by changing the basic syntax.

XML associates namespace prefixes to uri then there is no confilict any
more.

If you want to incorporate a text page with different namespaces, you can
use a very simple text replacement to switch the markup.

> of PmWiki.  But again we don't need a complex markup syntax for
> this--just
> a convention that PmWiki developers agree to follow for future
> versions
> of PmWiki.

pm:table *is* nothing more than a convnetion but it could be implemented
in an maintenance friendly manner.

--b