[pmwiki] Re: [Pmwiki-users] Whitepaper about markup strategy

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri May 16 16:48:17 CDT 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 11:42:09PM +0200, Bernhard.Weichel at t-online.de wrote:

> > This is actually a problem with any markup strategy, including the
> > one Bernhard has proposed.  For example, if someone defines a local
> > customization using ".b_name" (or "=name") then what's to prevent
>
> This is the reason that I proposed separate functions to define the
> basic markup syntax and to define the markup itself.
> In this case it would be one place to resolve the conflict

I'm afraid I don't understand--how do having the separate functions
prevent two people from choosing the same markup sequence for different
purposes?  I.e., one person could define .b_foo to mean one thing
and PmWiki could later define .b_foo to mean something else...?

> > As an aside, HTTP and mail systems solve this by using what is known
> > as
>
> XML solves the problem using namespaces e.g. <xml:space> so we could
> have <pm:table> ...

Well, certainly if someone did =pm:table or =bw:table or something
like that as a markup then it would never conflict with a future version
of PmWiki.  But again we don't need a complex markup syntax for this--just
a convention that PmWiki developers agree to follow for future versions
of PmWiki.