[Pmwiki-users] page format variable redesign

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Thu May 8 09:31:09 CDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:11:16PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Thus, I'm proposing to change the processing of the $...Fmt output variables
> so that the values (after $-substitutions) can be any of:
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This parenthetical is very important because it means that you can do
things like ...

> However, to generate a header from an HTML file on disk (e.g., as created
> by an HTML editing package):
>     $PageHeaderFmt = 'file:path/to/myheader.html';

	$PageHeaderFmt = 'file:path/to/$Group.html';

> Or, to call a special PHP-function to output the header:
>     $PageHeaderFmt = 'function:MyHeaderFunction';

	$PageHeaderFmt = 'function:${Group}Function';

Assuming PHP uses the same disambiguating syntax as perl or pmwiki
doesn't care if it sees $GroupFunction vs $Group.

> As usual, I'm eager to hear comments, questions, and other opinions.

I'm still trying to think of ways it would break, but failing :-)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at cbi.tamucc.edu