[Pmwiki-users] discussion on line breaks

John Feezell johnfeezell
Thu Jul 17 18:09:13 CDT 2003

The [[linebreaks]] has a lot of intuitive appeal.

How about something like this

[[linebreaks]]
some things we know we know,
some things we know we don't know

yields the same but

[[linebreaks]]
some things we know we know,\
some things we know we don't know
we know we know some things,
we know we don't know some things

yields -- some things we know we know, some things we know we don't know
we know we know some things,
we know we don't know some things

Now here's another idea from pmwiki TextFormattingRules
Quote:
Escape sequence

Anything placed between [= and =] is not interpreted by PmWiki. This makes
it possible to easily do WikiWords that are not links and turn off other
special formatting interpretation. The [= and =] can span multiple input
lines, allowing effects to be applied to multiple input lines. For example,
space+[= at the beginning of a line will cause the text up to the next =]
to be monospace and uninterpreted by PmWiki (useful for program listings).

Why not simply extend the action of the [=...=] markup in a manner like
this.

[=# line one\
# line two
# line three\
# line four=]

gives --
1. line one 2. line two
3. line three 4. line four

BUT I think this would break the stated definition of what [= does

or
[=some things we know we know,\
some things we know we don't know
we know we know some things
we know we don't know some things.=]

gives --
some things we know we know, some things we know we don't know
we know we know some things
we know we don't know some things.

Of course there could also be \+[= at the beginning of the line to indicate
that linebreaks are to be observed and it also gives a visual reminder of
the change.  I don't believe that it breaks the definition of [= but
actually fulfills it.

/JF