[Pmwiki-users] notes on pmwiki documentation

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Fri Feb 28 16:40:34 CST 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:49:41PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>   [PmWiki]Configuration[Guide] or [PmWiki]Setup[Guide]

BTW, all of these with the [PmWiki] should go in the PmWiki group and
not have PmWiki as part of the page name IMHO.

>     [PmWiki]BasicConfiguration[Guide] (?)
>     [PmWiki]AdvancedConfiguration[Guide] (?)
>   [PmWiki]Installation[Guide] or [PmWiki]Install[Guide]
>   [PmWiki]Variables (documents variables avaible for use)
>   [PmWiki]Upgrades (how to do upgrades)

obviously, Upgrade[Guide] or Upgrade[HowTo]

>   [PmWiki]Philosophy
>   [PmWiki]Passwords  or  [PmWiki]PasswordGuide
>   WikiGroupsHowTo
>   [PmWiki]Files  or  [PmWiki]FilesOrganization
>   [PmWiki]ReleaseNotes
>   [PmWiki]ChangeLog
>   PmWiki
>   [PmWiki]Scripts  or  [PmWiki]Modules

Are the "or"s throughout exclusive (as they appear to be)?   Because I
think you need both of these.  To me, Scripts are "extra stand-alone
programs" and Modules are "extra php programs that can be in
local.php"  Or maybe it should be LocalCustomizations[Guide] instead.

> One could also replace "Guide" with "HowTo" in each of the above cases
> and perhaps that would be more self-explanatory (e.g.,
> PmWikiConfigurationHowTo).

I like HowTo better but have no other justification.

> I can't figure out where to include things like making backups and
> restores, installing PmWiki outside of the public_html space, suggesting
> PmWiki improvements, etc.

In the PmwikiFAQ of course!  ;-)

> I'm not sure if these topics should be separate pages or if they
> should be included as part of other pages.

If you have the [*include*] markup enabled you can do both  ;->

> Especially for guide documents, I like to have all of the steps
> available on a single page that can be printed out, and not have to
> browse through multiple pages.

For complex guidance, WikiTrails may make sense. Would there a way to
convert the WikiTrail "table of contents" page into a single page
containing a concatenation of all of the pages in the trail ...

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at cbi.tamucc.edu