[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki localization ?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Aug 3 17:19:38 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 10:02:44PM +0200, Carlo Strozzi wrote:

> One concern regarding the time-format. A Wiki, like most other web
> applications, can be used by users from every part of the World, and I
> was wondering whether using local-time for time-stamps is a good idea.
> Provided that PHP is able to do that, I would modify the italian time
> format from "%d/%m/%Y, ore %H:%M" into "%d/%m/%Y, ore %H:%M%z", that is
> with the time-zone appended. With GNU date(1) that is:
>
> $ date +'%d/%m/%Y, ore %H:%M%z'
> 31/07/2003, ore 21:22+0200
>
> I would suggest that the same be done in all other languages.

This works, except the %z notation is probably not available on all
systems because %z is not part of the standard C library implementation
of strftime(3) (I think it's a glibc extension).  However, %Z is
available--it gives the current time zone abbreviation--e.g., "CDT"
for U.S. Central Daylight Time.