[Pmwiki-users] enhanced search?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Apr 30 16:19:52 CDT 2003

> 3. I am lazy -- I consciously proposed 'group:search term' and not=20
> 'group:name search term'.=20

I'm willing to implement both versions--but for 'group: search term' I'd=20
really prefer to use something other than a colon to avoid cognitive =
conflicts
with InterMap links.  To me "Main: search term" makes "Main" look like an
InterMap link and not a group. =20

---
Fair enough. How about a ';' ?
---

> 7. I assume that a simple search for apple will continue to=20
> find references to grapple, apples and crapplet. =20

I was thinking that the simple search would look for word boundaries, but
I can leave it as a straight substring search (or as an option for the
WikiAdministrator to choose).  But this begs a question, should
a search for "apple butter" (w/o the quotes) look for the phrase or for=20
pages containing both "apple" and "butter"?

---
I sort of expect 'apple butter' with quotes to look for the phrase and "=
apple butter" without quotes to look for 'apple' -and- 'butter'. Others =
may expect "apple butter" without quotes to look for 'apple' -or- 'butter'.=
 (Hence many advanced searches use forms, so there is no ambiguity.)

All of which reinforces keeping PmWiki searches basic (avoiding confusion =
to people like me) and not reinventing the wheel. :-)

JR