[pmwiki-users] Ape Video embedding

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Jun 4 05:17:22 PDT 2024

On 04/06/2024 12:54, Martin Cuno wrote:
> I use Ape ( https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Ape ) and have a list
> of 10 local videos on one page, with
>
> %embed%[[Attach:p0012-video-01.mp4|Apartment]]%%
>
> %embed%[[Attach:p0012-video-02.mp4|Apartment]]%%
>
> etc.
>
> Problem: when the page is opened, the browser apparently "collects"
> the videos (the previews). The previews appear within a few seconds.
> But not all of them! Usually there are a few left at the bottom of the
> list that are not "caught" - then the error message "No video found"
> appears. (It always varies slightly which ones are not found.)
>
> What can I do? Is there a timeout variable that I can set higher?

Can you play the videos that have failed to preload?

I'm not sure why this happens, I just added 24 videos in a page, tried
reloading several times, and never got the error.

The server/firewall might reject multiple simultaneous requests. In this
case you may want to merge the separate videos into one longer video.
You can use the open source program ffmpeg.

I have released Ape version 20240604 where you can use a wikistyle to
define the "preload" attribute to the video:

Preload nothing:

   %embed preload-none% Attach:1.mp4 %%

Preload video length and first frame:

   %embed preload-metadata% Attach:2.mp4 %%

Try if any of these work better.

Alternatively, you can add video poster pictures, which would also set
the "preload" attributes to "none". See documentation.

If the requests are blocked by the server because they are simultaneous,
this may help.

Petko

--
If you upgrade :  https://www.pmwiki.org/Upgrades