[pmwiki-users] accents in page title

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Mon Jul 22 06:28:50 PDT 2024

On 22/07/2024 14:59, jdd at dodin.org wrote:
> I try to prevent french accents in page title, when creating one, for
> example like [[la page de l'été|+]], I try to write it [[la page de l
> ete|+]] and write accents in the (:title La page de l'été:) of the
> page.
>
> But it happen some time that I forget it
>
> is it still necessary?

If you have 2 links [[la page de l'été]] and [[la page de l ete]] they
normally link to different pages. It is not necessary but it may be good
to use one way or the other to be able to link to the same page.

Also, your wiki page URLs without international characters may be
shorter and nicer. It is not necessary but may be welcome.

There is a recipe ISO8859MakePageNamePatterns that removes all accents
from page names in Western languages. Note you shouldn't install it if
you already have page names with international characters. Also it is
not currently compatible with UTF-8. In addition, like PmWiki, it
assumes the English style apostrophe where it converts "don't" to
"Dont", while in French you would want to capitalize the word after the
apostrophe to LaPageDeLEte and not LaPageDeLete.

Petko