[pmwiki-users] Question regarding slow page loading with attr set

Hans Bracker design at softflow.uk
Sun Apr 14 04:41:20 PDT 2024

Hello Petko,
your system works a lot faster than my old one. I am using disk drive, not SSD, and no special caching set up.

> (:noheader:)(:nofooter:)(:notitle:)(:noaction:)(:noleft:)
> [[{$Name}?action=edit]]

Done this. Here are the results. I put in a line echo " $pagename "; at top of ReadPage function, to show which pages get opened. I am using a custom timer function. Starts at top of config.php, end with a call at bottom of page template. Did this because with numerous StopWatch calls time can get added, sometimes  a lot, I noticed.

1. page without (:if auth ..:) conditional markup:
SiteAdmin.Status Test.Post10 Test/GroupAttributes Test.GroupHeader Test.GroupFooter
 $Id: pmwiki.php 4687 2024-04-13 18:46:04Z petko $
page attribute not set. No if auth conditional markup.
Post10?action=edit
Page generated in 1.02 seconds.

2. page with 5 if auth conditionals, no page attribute is set:
SiteAdmin.Status Test.Post9 Test/GroupAttributes Test.Post9 Test.Post9 Test.Post9 Test.Post9 Test.Post9 Test.GroupHeader Test.GroupFooter
 $Id: pmwiki.php 4687 2024-04-13 18:46:04Z petko $
page attribute not set. 5 if auth conditional markups.
Post9?action=edit
 see this
 post this
 edit this
 admin this
 upload this
Page generated in 1.02 seconds.

3. page with 5 if auth conditionals, a page attribute is set:
SiteAdmin.Status Test.Post8 Test/GroupAttributes Test.Post8 Test.Post8 Test.Post8 Test.Post8 Test.Post8 Test.GroupHeader Test.GroupFooter
 $Id: pmwiki.php 4687 2024-04-13 18:46:04Z petko $
page attribute is set. 5 if auth conditional markups.
Post8?action=edit
 see this
 post this
 edit this
 admin this
 upload this
Page generated in 2.71 seconds.

You can see the five extra calls to ReadPage in case 2 and 3, and case 2 is a lot faster, as fast as without conditionals!

What still can I test?

cheers,
Hans