[pmwiki-users] Move sidebar menu to the header, basically

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Apr 5 00:42:28 PDT 2024

Thank you for your efforts and for the link. I like the skin -- I think
you meant on this page:

   https://www.kirpi.it/z/pmwiki.php?n=Main.QuickSkin

and one should click on a button near the top of the page to activate
it.

I agree simpler one-column skins with a smaller number of top-bar
navigation links, no search box, more spacing, a background cover photo
instead of a company logo, and an inverted footer, appear more modern,
even if they are less functional.

Less functional for a large website, yes, but one could argue that a
2-column skin is less functional than a 3-column skin. Remember those?

But less is more and worse is better, especially when more than 50% of
your visitors are looking at your website through the tiny screen of a
phone, and stay for less than 2 minutes.

Maybe we can add a new 1-column core skin that looks like this. The
top-bar navigation links could open group sitemap pages, and a search
page.

One of the goals for the core skins is to be easy to customize and build
upon by new wiki admins, people who don't have a lot of experience with
HTML/CSS/JS and PmWiki. So they should be relatively simple and somewhat
obvious with any complexity like dark mode or mobile/desktop layout
switching moved away but available.

I would also recommend to move any inline CSS and JS from the HTML
template and from $HTMLStylesFmt or $HTMLHeaderFmt into separate CSS or
JS files. This would be in line with the current recommendations for
website security. (Also a big todo for me regarding WikiStyles.)

Petko