[pmwiki-users] Should $EnableNotSavedWarning be enabled by default?

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Jan 4 03:22:30 PST 2022

Currently by default PmWiki doesn't warn when people edit a page, and
try to move away from the edit form without saving.

We have $EnableNotSavedWarning but it needs to be enabled in config.php
by the administrator.

I added it to sample-config.php, but I wonder if instead we should
simply enable it by default.

I believe the setting dramatically improves the user experience and
saves a lot of frustration, especially with inexperienced editors and
administrators (who have yet to read the documentation and enable the
setting).

The setting, enabled, might possibly interfere with some custom edit
forms, although I am not aware of such a case, or with some of the
existing recipes that do exactly this.

If we enable it by default, anyone who doesn't need this feature can
disable it with

   $EnableNotSavedWarning = 0;

Even if there might be existing administrators who may be annoyed to add
this line when they upgrade, I feel the benefit from having the feature
enabled outweighs the downside.

Thoughts?

Petko