[pmwiki-users] Valid HTML and CSS in pmwiki-responsive skin

Moni Kellermann kellerfrau at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 00:50:06 PST 2018

Hi all,

I wanted to use the now-default pmwiki-responsive skin as the starting
point of a new skin, which made me run it through the W3.org validators
before I personally mess it up, to make sure that all upcoming terrible
errors are solely my fault ;)

As the pmwiki.org website uses that skin, I had the starting page checked.

1. https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pmwiki.org%2F

which gives warnings because of the <type> tag:

a. The type attribute for the style element is not needed and should be
omitted.

b. The type attribute is unnecessary for JavaScript resources.

2.
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=www.pmwiki.org&profile=css3svg

which gives 1 error

360	#wikihead-searchform	Value Error : max-width Too many values or
values are not recognized : auto

and 12 warnings

52		-webkit-box-shadow is an unknown vendor extension
53		-moz-box-shadow is an unknown vendor extension
149		-webkit-animation is an unknown vendor extension
150		-moz-animation is an unknown vendor extension
151		-ms-animation is an unknown vendor extension
152		-o-animation is an unknown vendor extension
347		-webkit-box-shadow is an unknown vendor extension
348		-moz-box-shadow is an unknown vendor extension
476		Unrecognized at-rule @-moz-keyframes
480		Unrecognized at-rule @-webkit-keyframes
484		Unrecognized at-rule @-ms-keyframes
488		Unrecognized at-rule @-o-keyframes

To fix these errors, I suggest:
- remove the <type> attribute in the HTML
- remove the 12 lines in skin.css that trigger the warnings (methinks
they are obsolete)
- line 360 in skin.css currently has
     width: auto;
     max-width: auto;
which to me appears redundant, so I would nuke max-width: auto; or set
it to a certain value, i.e. 980px or something like that.

I checked a local installation of pmwiki-responsive with the suggested
fixes and they resulted in "vaild" HTML and CSS.

moni k.