[pmwiki-users] Fixed horizontal menu in the 2016 skin

Hans design1 at softflow.uk
Fri Aug 5 06:30:47 CDT 2016

> While trying to make some experiments with the split new 2016 skin,
> I'm not sure that I understand how to move the sidebar (the menu, that
> is) from its standard position to a fixed one at the top of the
> screen, horizontally, when on regular screens.

what do you mean by fixed position?
Do you want a horizontal menu which is fixed to the top and does not
scroll away when a user scrolls down the page?
And if yes to that, how shall it behave with the header?
Do you want the menu appear first below the header, above th epage
title, and when th epage gets scrolled down, the headder scrolls out
of the way, but the menu "sticks" to the top, i.e. is always visible?

If the latter, it needs a javascript solution.

In  any case for the sie menu to be below th eheader, you need to
change the skin template, and move the  whole <!--PageLeftFmt-->
section above the <div id="wikimid"> (out of that div).
And then you need to change a bunch of css rules as well.

The 2016 skin has the #wikisidebar element as part of the #wikimid
div, and it is treated to appear as a table cell. So that needs to
change (look through skin.css).

And then, if you just want to stick it to the top with position:fixed
you need to give it width too. And push #wikihead down as well (give
it top margin or so), in order that the header is still visible.

In any case, all this is not a trivial change, you really designing a
different skin!

cheers,
 Hans