[pmwiki-users] Cookbook Recipes & Licensing

Criss Ittermann crisses at kinhost.org
Wed Jun 25 13:24:34 CDT 2014

Does this need to bother “upstream” folk?

Could it just be as easy as adding “License: GPL 2” (as a default, being the same as PmWiki’s license) to the Cookbook header template so that new authors are encouraged to add their license information on each Cookbook page?

If it’s under custom license, say:
License: Custom
And link it via anchor deeper into the page content under an optional “License" headline for any custom license info.  Then it can be copied from the php to the recipe page.

If I open a PHP file for a recipe and find a license in it, I’m more than happy to add the license type info into the cookbook document.  Anyone else could do that, too — and authors can update their own recipes &/or the pmwiki.org Cookbook recipe page themselves.  i.e. crowdsource it.

Bonus: intermediate users can search recipes for their license via PTVs (for “*GPL*”) and they could be shown via a custom pagelist template if desired.

I’m a little more concerned about the recipes where there’s absolutely no license information to be found.  That goes for mine as well, if I forgot to add it to the recipes.  My intent was GPL, but technically people aren’t allowed to alter it unless I say that.

Crisses