[pmwiki-users] Reorganizing our Wiki

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Jul 9 16:14:44 CDT 2013

Peter Payzant writes:
> I have only two groups defined; the second one was just to limit who could
> edit pages in that group.
>
> We aren't using page variables at all.
>
> So, does anybody have any hints on good ways to make the content more
> accessible? I'm sure that my naive approach can be greatly improved.

If you decide to move your pages into different new groups, I'll suggest
using the recipe http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MovePage to move them,
as the recipe will automatically create redirections from the current URLs
to the new ones. OTOH, the recipe doesn't fix links so if you have a link
like [[Page]] it will point to "Page" in the new group.

It is possible to keep your pages in the current 2 groups and make a better
use of categories, backlinks and Pagelist templates, as other users
suggested.

One thing we have on PmWiki.org is the "Summary:" line on many pages. This
short "page summary" displays on searches, pagelists and categories and
hopefully gives the visitor some insight about the content behind the link.
There are different ways to extract some information from many pages and
display it in one: read the documentation about "pagelists", "pagelist
templates" and PageTextVariables (PTVs).
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageLists
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageListTemplates (!)
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageTextVariables

(You should have sample PageListTemplates in your Site/ group and start from
there to create your own.)

As an example of such organization (SideBar, categories, pagelists, custom
templates and PTVs) you can see our Cookbook with 900+ recipes and skins,
not including talk pages and user notes.

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook
  (click on the links in the menu/sidebar)

I'm not sure if newcomers find easily what they are looking for, but it is
as good as we figured out yet.

Petko