[pmwiki-users] Uploads Error Page

StefCT stefct4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 17:09:49 CST 2013

On 12/18/2013 09:40 PM, Petko Yotov wrote:
> StefCT writes:
>> Below I have pasted the error message I got. I'm a little bit doubtful
>> about the latter part (from "Or, for a slightly more secure
>> installation, try executing" through "chmod 755
>> /UNIONFS/var/www/Wiki3"). Is this correct? Apparently no uploads/
>> directory is being created when I follow those alternative instructions.
>
> This is correct, but there is an omission in the core. Before reverting
> the Wiki3 permissions to 755, upload a single file. PmWiki will create
> the uploads/ directory and its subdirectories with the correct
> permissions. After a first file is upoaded, you can, and should, chmod
> the Wiki3 permissions back to 755.

Thank you! This works perfectly well. A custom error message would be
great though because this approach wouldn't have occurred to me.

Btw., I had another tiny issue with the following instructions (also
with new wikis):

Or, for a slightly more secure installation, try executing

     chmod 2777 /UNIONFS/var/www/Wiki3

on your server and following this link
[http://localhost/Wiki3/index.php]. Afterwards you can restore the
permissions to their current setting by executing

     chmod 755 /UNIONFS/var/www/Wiki3

... because after following the link the initial error page will be gone
(unless I remember opening it in a new tab) and I cannot see the last
command which I have yet to enter. Hitting the "Back" button doesn't
work either...

Of course this wouldn't happen to a real pro (they would copy the
command before or they would know it by heart anyway), but for
inexperienced beginners it could become a slightly embarrassing
obstacle. Maybe it would be a good idea to explicitly remind people to
(preferably) open the link in a new tab?

-- StefCT