[pmwiki-users] pmwiki.org: mini sidebar cleanup?

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Sep 23 03:57:46 CDT 2011

On Monday 19 September 2011 02:23:05, Rogutės Sparnuotos wrote :
> In the previous discussion, there was talk about less links on the
> homepage. Some observations regarding the sidebar:
>
> 1. Is a link to Site/AllRecentChangesShort still needed?
>    Site/AllRecentChanges loads in 1 s,
>    Site/AllRecentChangesShort loads in 0.5 s.
>    Perhaps the „All recent changes“ link could point to
>    Site/AllRecentChanges with a month worth of history, which in turn
>    would have a link to Site/AllRecentChangesFull?

I am using the *Short page all the time, so I need this link. But it could be
this link only and one could open the complete AllRecentChanges from the
*Short page.

> 2. The „Cookbook“ link could be clearer to newcomers. Perhaps
>    Cookbook (add-ons)

OK. This is the link text in the sidebar of the default installation.

> 5. On the homepage, there is „Other languages“ in the sidebar,
>    (:include OtherLanguages:) in PmWiki.PmWiki and a list of languages
>    from PmWiki.GroupFooter. Not sure whether this could be improved, but
>    it feels redundant.

I agree. I removed the footer links from the home page as the included
OtherLanguages already points to the same international homepages.

The SideBar link to PmWiki/OtherLanguages is visible on all pages, but so is
the one in the page footer. Should we keep it on the sidebar, on the footer,
both or none?

The links in the footer were added 2 years ago to facilitate the work of the
translators of the documentation. Unfortunately, there are not many people who
translate and update the documentation. :-)

Petko