[pmwiki-users] WikiTitle

V.Krishn vkrishn4 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 14:33:11 CST 2011

On Thursday 03 Mar 2011 11:49:26 pm Hans wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what is your preferred way to use the HTML <title> tag?
> PmWiki's default skin set it in its template as:
>
> <title>$WikiTitle | {$Group} / {$Title} $ActionTitle</title>
>
> $WikiTitle is set in config, and the other variables get filled in
> from the page name and action used.
>
> Since the HTML title is directly used in Google's search results
> as the heading, I like to employ a more sophisticated way to generate
> a meaningful title.
>
> For instance there is no need IMO for HomePage to appear in the title,
> nor a doubling of names, for instance as for a page Gallery.Gallery.

When one uses
(:title ...some nice title text.... :) directive on pages
this gets replaced in {$Title}.
To avoid Gallery.Gallery situation:
Add (:title .... :) directive on pages or GroupHeader pages
Eg. http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Qnotes

> And what good is $ActionTitle?

Would be nice to know how to use this towards search engine benefit, including
changing the value.

> so what is your approach?
>

>   ~Hans

Regards.