[pmwiki-users] can't edit after upgrade

Richard Talley rich.talley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 00:13:10 CDT 2011

OK. First a note on permissions.

I had read the PmWiki page on permissions.
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FilePermissions

"On a Unix host the webserver typically runs with a userid and groupid that
is different from the account holder."

So the permission are usually set:
directories except pub/ and uploads/ 755
files 644
pub/ and /uploads 777

But in our case, the user account I use to administer the site has been
configured to be in the same group that the Apache server is in.

So I should be able to use:
directories except pub/ and uploads/ 750
files 640
pub/ and /uploads 770

And in fact that works, on the production site that's running PmWiki 2.1.27.

So, I tried a different tack. I copied the working site to the test site,
but set the permissions back to the usual case (755/644/777) and confirmed
that all uses of $FullName in Site.PageActions are changed to *$FullName.
Site works, of course.

I apply the upgrade. Now I see something I should have seen before, but
didn't. I get an upgrade notice about relocating Site.ApprovedUrls ->
SiteAdmin.ApprovedUrls. When I click on the 'Relocate pages listed above'
button, I get caught in a loop:

"PmWiki can't process your request

Cannot write page to SiteAdmin.ApprovedUrls
(wiki.d/SiteAdmin.ApprovedUrls)...changes not saved"

Which has a link back to the test site, which offers to 'Relocate pages
listed above'.

So I manually copied Site.ApprovedUrls from the production site to the test
site as SiteAdmini.ApprovedUrls.

Now PmWiki complains:

"PmWiki can't process your request

Cannot acquire lockfile"

So I deleted the .flock file in directory wiki.d on the test site.

No change. I continue to be unable to access the site, because PmWiki
complains it cannot acquire lockfile.

I'm stuck. I have a production site running 2.1.27 which works fine, but I
have a test site which has a copy of the production site which as been
upgraded to 2.2.26. I can't access this site.

Solution: leave production site running 2.1.27 and forget about upgrading.

-- Rich