[pmwiki-users] uploads failing

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 7 14:53:13 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 12:20:56PM -0700, adam overton wrote:
> the host admin is asking whether there's a way to get a more
> verbose message than the one that shows up on the upload page
> that says "myFile.jpg: no file uploaded" - they think the actual
> error is being masked.

The error that PmWiki generates comes from PHP's file upload
errors -- i.e., it's from  $_FILES['uploadfile']['error'].
In this case, PHP is giving an error code of "4", which
corresponds to "No file was uploaded."  PHP doesn't provide
any more information than that about why the file wasn't uploaded,
so PmWiki can't give further information either.

See http://us2.php.net/manual/en/features.file-upload.errors.php.

(Any "masking of the actual error" is therefore being done by PHP,
not by PmWiki.)

> is there a way to see what else is happening (or not happening)
> during this upload?

Have you (or they) checked the webserver logs?  More detailed
error messages often show up there.

Also, have you tried uploading really small files, to make sure
you're not hitting an upload limit somewhere?

Is there a way we could see the config for the site?